Investing in the next generation of Alaska’s conservation leaders
Established in honor of Celia Hunter and named in memory of Ted Smith, Alaska Conservation Foundation’s Ted Smith Conservation Internship Program is a strategic investment in young adults. The program is specifically targeted toward students who plan a career path in conservation and are willing to make a long-term commitment to preserving and protecting the pristine environment and diverse cultures of Alaska.
Undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent grads participating in this popular internship program are provided with unique opportunities to:
- Learn firsthand about Alaska’s magnificent natural environment and diverse cultures.
- Gain important, practical job skills in the conservation field while also helping the host organization meet its conservation program goals.
- Help preserve and protect Alaska’s pristine environment by working with one of the many host organizations addressing important Alaska conservation issues.
- Meet and network with Alaska conservationists, agency personnel, local Alaskans, and other interns from Alaska and across the nation.
- Become mentors and sources of information for other students interested in Alaska conservation issues.
- Obtain college credit (if approved by an accredited university).
The objective of the Ted Smith Conservation Internship Program is to match highly qualified interns with host organizations, providing interns with practical job skills and an introduction to conservation in Alaska while also supporting the organization in meeting its conservation goals. Selected host organizations receive a grant from Alaska Conservation Foundation to cover the cost of the intern stipend for 12 weeks ($6,000).
Become an intern
Applications for 2023 internships are no longer being accepted.
Host an intern
If you have questions about the being an intern host program, please contact Director of Grants and Programs, Anna Dalton: adalton[at]alaskaconservation.org. Applications are no longer being accepted to host interns.
Donate to the intern program!
This amazing program could always use additional support.