Since 1985, Alaska Conservation Foundation has recognized the remarkable achievements of individuals and organizations committed to protecting Alaska through the Conservation Achievement Awards program. The nomination categories are named after notable conservation heroes in the areas of education, movement building, Alaska Native inclusivity, and professional achievement.
We announce and offer congratulations to the recipients of the 2019 Alaska Conservation Achievement Awards. These remarkable community members work tirelessly to ensure Alaska is thoughtfully protected, not just for the present, but forever. We thank them for their commitment to Alaska.
34th annual Alaska Conservation Achievement Award recipients:
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Jim Stratton, Anchorage, Alaska
- Celia Hunter Award for Outstanding Volunteer Contributions – Michael McKimens, Craig, Alaska
- Olaus Murie Award for Outstanding Professional Contributions – Polly Carr, Anchorage, Alaska
- Denny Wilcher Award for Young Environmental Activists (2) – Karl Pfeiffenberger, Seward, Alaska & Cate Gomez, Dillingham, Alaska
- Daniel Housberg Wilderness Image Award for Excellence in Film or Video – Drew Hamilton, Anchorage/Homer, Alaska
- Jerry S. Dixon Award for Excellence in Environmental Education – Kristen Romanoff, Juneau, Alaska
- Caleb Pungowiyi Award for Outstanding Achievements by an Alaska Native Organization or Individual – Heather Kendall-Miller, Anchorage, Alaska
- Lowell Thomas, Jr. Award for Outstanding Achievements by a Conservation Organization – Alaska Longline Fishermen’s Association (ALFA), Sitka, Alaska
Our 2019 awardees will be honored at our Conservation Achievement Awards Reception on October 3, 2019 at the Anchorage Museum. The reception will include presentation of the awards, excellent networking opportunities, appetizers and a no-host bar. Attendees will receive one complimentary drink. All are welcome so we hope you’ll join us.
Online ticket sales for the awards reception are now closed. A limited number of tickets will be available at the door beginning at 6 pm this evening. The event is nearly sold out.