Sitka National Historic Park  

Alaska’s first federally designated park, established in 1910 to commemorate the 1804 Battle of Sitka, when a Russian naval bombardment ended Tlingit Indian resistance to Russian domination of the region. The park features a series totem poles, along with one of Alaska’s oldest structures—the beautifully restored Russian Bishop’s House, built in 1842—and a pleasant, easily accessible walk through temperate rainforest.

Size: 113 acres, located right in the Southeast Alaska community of Sitka.

Visit the website.